The College of St. Rose is a private, independent, co-educational, not-for-profit college in Albany, New York
The College of St. Rose was founded in 1920 by the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet. It is one of six colleges in the United States sponsored by the Sisters of Saint Joseph as well as one of the sixteen institutions of higher education that form the Hudson/Mohawk Association of Colleges and Universities. The College enrolls a total of approximately 4,863 students (2,931 undergraduates and 1,932 postgraduates).
The College is broadly divided into four schools: the School of Arts and Humanities (which includes the Music, Art, and Communications Departments), the School of Mathematics and Sciences, the School of Business, and the School of Education. These schools offer a total of over 50 degrees at the certificate, undergraduate, and graduate levels.
The idea for The College of Saint Rose was conceived by Monsignor Joseph A. Delaney, the vicar-general of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Albany in 1920. He aimed to create a Catholic college for women in the large swath of land between the two nearest Catholic colleges, those in New York City and Buffalo. With this idea in mind, Delaney contacted Sr. Blanche Rooney, a member of the local chapter of the Sisters of Saint Joseph of Carondelet, located in the Provincial House on Eighth Street inTroy, New York. Rooney and her sisters were conducive to the idea and, with the permission and support of Bishop Edmund F. Gibbons, bishop of Albany, Sr. Blanche Rooney, CSJ, and Monsignor Delaney purchased the William Keeler estate at 979 Madison Avenue. Upon application and granting of a provisional charter from the Board of Regents The College of Saint Rose was officially established as a Roman Catholic college for women with a liberal arts curriculum in Albany, New York on June 28, 1920.