Piedmont College

Piedmont College is a private liberal arts institution founded in 1897 to serve residents of the Appalachian area of northeast Georgia

When Piedmont College was first founded, it was established as the J.S. Green Collegiate Institute named after a local banker. In 1899, the name was shortened to the J.S. Green College. By 1902, the college was formally renamed Piedmont College.

Today, with campuses located in Demorest and Athens, the college provides undergraduate and graduate degree programs for about 2,000 students from across Georgia and around the world. While many students come from across the world, 10% of Piedmont’s students come from the Habersham County area through Piedmont’s Neighborhood Grant Program.

Piedmont maintains religious affiliation with two bodies: the National Association of Congregational Christian Churches and the United Church of Christ. Congregationalists took over the school from the Methodists in the early 20th century.

The student/faculty ratio is 14 to 1 and most professors hold a doctorate or the terminal degree in their field. Piedmont is known for the individual attention and one-on-one instruction provided by professors whose first commitment is to your education. Piedmont is accredited by the following boards: Southern Association of Colleges and Schools(SACS); National League of Nursing Accrediting Commission (NLNAC); and the Association of Collegiate Business Schools and Programs (ACBSP). Piedmont currently offers 38 undergraduate degree programs and graduate programs in education and business. Beginning in fall 2009, Piedmont started an education doctorate (Ed.D) within the School of Education.