Southern Polytechnic State University (also called Southern Poly; abbreviated SPSU) was a public, co-educational, state university in Marietta, Georgia
Southern Polytechnic State University is approximately 20 miles (32 km) northwest of downtown Atlanta. It was part of the University System of Georgia and called itself “Georgia’s Technology University.”
The university was established in 1948 as The Technical Institute in Chamblee, Georgia. The first classes were held with 116 students. It was renamed the Southern Technical Institute in 1949 and moved to its present campus in Marietta, Georgia in 1962. It went through another name change in 1987 and became the Southern College of Technology. In the summer of 1996, the university adopted its current name. It is one among a small group of polytechnic universities in the United States that tend to be primarily devoted to the instruction of technical arts and applied sciences.
On November 1, 2013, plans were announced to consolidate Southern Polytechnic into nearby Kennesaw State University. On January 6, 2015, the Georgia Board of Regents of the University System of Georgia approved the consolidation of Southern Poly and Kennesaw State.