Oglethorpe University is a private, liberal arts college in Brookhaven, an inner suburb of Atlanta, Georgia
Originally chartered in 1835, Oglethorpe University was named in honor of General James Edward Oglethorpe, founder of the Colony of Georgia.
Majors offered at Oglethorpe University include accounting, American studies, art history, studio art, behavioral science & human resource management, biology, biopsychology, business administration, chemistry,communication and rhetoric studies, economics, engineering, English, French, history, individually planned majors, international studies, mathematics, philosophy, physics, politics, psychology, sociology, Spanish, and theatre.
The Conant Performing Arts Center, completed in 1997, served as the seasonal home of Georgia Shakespeare until Fall 2014.
The Oglethorpe University Museum of Art opened in 1984 and is located on the top floor of the Philip Weltner Library. The two galleries, the South and Skylight, and gift shop cover 7,000 square feet. Bringing in thousands of visitors each year, the museum has become an important point of interest in Atlanta’s art community.
In 1994, Lupton Hall, Phoebe Hearst Hall, Lowry Hall and Hermance Stadium were added to the National Register of Historic Places. In addition, a historic district including part or all of the 100-acre (0.40 km2) campus was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Other academic buildings include Goslin Hall, primarily used for science courses, and J. Mack Robinson Hall, primarily used for Communication and Art classes.
Oglethorpe University is home to the Crypt of Civilization, the first and most complete time capsule ever created, according to the Guinness Book of World Records. Scheduled to be opened in 8113 AD, it is located in the basement of Phoebe Hearst Hall.
Oglethorpe University is home to the International Time Capsule Society, a repository of time capsule projects worldwide.
The Turner Lynch Campus Center opened in the fall of 2013.
From its opening in 1990 until 2003, the Seigakuin Atlanta International School was located on the property of Oglethorpe University, in a former public school building.