Mannes College The New School for Music is The New School university’s music conservatory
While the university’s main campus is located in Greenwich Village, New York City, Mannes College The New School for Music maintains its main academic building on the Upper West Side of Manhattan.
Originally called The David Mannes Music School, it was founded in 1916 by David Mannes, concertmaster of the New York Symphony Orchestra and Clara Damrosch, sister of Walter Damrosch, then conductor of that orchestra. Originally housed on East 70th Street (later occupied by the Dalcroze School), the campus was created out of three brownstones on East 74th Street, in Manhattan’s Upper East Side. After 1938, the school was known as the Mannes Music School (possibly in conjunction with the retirement of David and Clara Mannes from active teaching). In 1953 Mannes began offering degrees and changed its name to the Mannes College of Music. It later merged with the Chatham Square Music School. In 1984 the school moved to its current home on West 85th Street, though it will be moving to a new home, Arnhold Hall, in the West Village as of September 2014. In 1989 Mannes joined The New School, comprising eight schools (including Parsons School of Design, Eugene Lang College, and the New School for Drama). In 2005, the New School administration changed its name to Mannes College the New School for Music.